Charles J. McCarthy oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview is with Charles McCarthy's daughter, Karen Smalls Woodward. She provides information and personal observations about her father's service experiences: role as a replacement soldier with the 10th Mountain Division. Other topics: projects associated with the 10th Mountain Division; Roaring Fork Veterans History Project; raising money and the role of the Aspen Historical Society; legacy of the 10th Mountain Division.
- Check date
- Smalls Woodward, Karen. (Person)
- Smalls Woodward, Karen, (Person)
- Merritt, Dick, (Person)
- Roaring Fork History Project, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Charles J. McCarthy was born October 31, 1922 in Columbus, Ohio, the son of Charles and Alice McCarthy. During his youth, he was known as Joseph, since his father was also Charles. McCarthy was a replacement officer for the 10th Mountain Division in Italy during World War II. He joined the Division as a 2nd Lieutenant on March 29, 1945 from the 8th Replacement Depot, Empoli, Italy. He was assigned to Battery A, 616th Field Artillery Battalion (Pack), where he served as a forward observer during the Division's spring offensive. Following the war, McCarthy was a member of the Army reserve. He was recalled to active duty for the Korean War. He served in the Army 22 years, retiring with the rank of Major. McCarthy died on December 4, 1994 in Columbus Ohio.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Roaring Forks History Project;2008.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McCarthy, Charles J., 1911- -- Archival resources.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smalls Woodward, Karen, -- Interviews.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion (Pack), 616th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Charles J. McCarthy oral history,2008[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script