Richard Kindig Photograph Collection
Scope and Contents
Collection contains 120 photographs printed on 4x5" postcards or 8x10" paper of railway cars and locomotives associated with the Colorado and Southern Railway, Union Pacific Railroad Company, and the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad .
- Kindig, R. H.(Richard H.) (Person)
- 5th Floor; (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Richard Kindig was a railroad photographer born in Denver, Colorado on February 13, 1916. He graduated from North High School and attended Barnes Business School. Kindig's interest in photography and railroads began when he was a child. His father, Claude Kindig, worked for the Union Pacific Railroad. Richard Kindig worked for Western Electric for 39 years, spending evenings and weekend photographing trains across Colorado, the West, and overseas. He developed his own photographs in his dark room. Over 1,000 of his images have been published in history and railroad books, and in various serials. Kindig was a charter member of the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club, and received the first Photography Award (1984) from the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society. Richard Kindig died at age 92 in Denver, Colorado on April 7, 2008.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transfer from 5th floor, 2016.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Physical condition: photographs are in good condition.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Colorado and Southern Railway -- Photographs.
- Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad Company -- Photographs.
- Kindig, R. H. (Richard H.) -- Archives.
- Kindig, R. H. (Richard H.) -- Pictorial works.
- Locomotives -- West (U.S.) -- 20th century -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroad cars -- West (U.S.) -- 20th century -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads (infrastructure) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Union Pacific Railroad Company -- Photographs.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States