Antonia Brico Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains newspaper clippings (both local and foreign) regarding Brico's career, debut, conducting opportunities in New York City, move to Denver, Colo, obituaries of Brico's father (John Walthuis), 1986 concert program, correspondence, concert program notes, scrapbook. Scrapbooks (1948-1982) related to the Brico Symphony and Denver Businessmen's Orchestra contain concert programs, clippings, reviews, correspondence, history of symphony, fan mail to conductor, Antonia Brico. Jean Sibelius articles by Brico (1949).
- Brico, Antonia. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Antonia Brico (June 26, 1902-August 3, 1989) was a conductor and pianist born in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. She Immigrated to U.S. in 1908 with her foster parents and settled in Calif. Brico received undergraduate degree from University of California at Berkeley (1924). Attended the Berlin Academy of Music and was the first American to graduate from its master class in conducting (1929). Founded the New York Women's Symphony Orchestra (1935). First woman to conduct the New York Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra (1938). Moved to Denver, Colo. in 1942. Founded Bach's Society, Women's String Ensemble and was a conductor for the Denver Community Symphony (later Denver Symphony Orchestra). Founded Denver Community Symphony (1948); during 1949 called Denver Philharmonic Orchestra. Name changed to Denver Businessmen's Orchestra (1950) and finally, Brico Symphony (1966). Died In Denver, Colo. on August 3, 1989.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;John Allen;2015. Gift;David Sckolnik;2013. Gift;James M. Edwards;2012. Gift;Marcia Whitcomb;Centennial Philharmonic;2003. Gift;The Symphony,Denver, Colo.;1967-1984.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection contains former C MSS WH267: Brico Symphony scrapbooks.
- Brico Symphony (Denver, Colo.) -- Archives.
- Brico, Antonia -- Archives.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Denver Businessmen's Orchestra -- Archival resources.
- Denver Community Symphony -- Archival resources.
- Denver Philharmonic Orchestra -- Archival resources.
- Programs (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Symphony orchestras -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women conductors (Music) -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Antonia Brico papers,1930-1989[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script