Duryea Morton oral history
Scope and Contents
Morton interviews himself, providing personal observations and information about: being a member of the National Ski Patrol and being intrigued by the Finnish-Russian war; learning about the 10th Mountain Division from Minnie Dole; induction at Indian Gap, Pa., basic training at Camp Hale, help with ski instruction; time at Camp Swift, Tex. and being part of the Bugle Corps; travel to Italy aboard the USS West Point, arrival in Italy, being on guard duty, living with an Italian family; German artillery and mortar attacks at della Torraccia and being wounded in action; rehab center in Pisa, Italy based in a royal palace; being sent back to his company at the end of the war.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Duryea Morton was born in Bronxville, N.Y. on June 13, 1924 and elisted in the Army on September 1, 1943 at Allentown, Pa. At the time of enlistment he was umarried, and had completed four years of high school. Morton joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to Company L of the 90th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company E of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. During combat operations in Italy, Morton was wounded in action.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Morton, Duryea, 1924- -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Duryea Morton oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script