Jesse B. Shapiro Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains copy of manuscript: The Making of a Skier by Jesse Shapiro (1987); correspondence with photographs of WWI era Italian and Austrian alpine troops (n.d.).
- 1987, undated
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Jesse B. Shapiro was born on March 25, 1920 in Brooklyn, N.Y. and enlisted in the Army after completing four years of high school. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Shapiro also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po River campaigns in Spring 1945 and attained the rank of Private First Class. Shapiro died in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. on March 14, 2011.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Jesse Shapiro, 2000.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Shapiro, Jesse B., 1920-2011 -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script