Herman Arthur Smith Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains autographs from Jim Falkenburg, Jack Dempsey, Patricia Morrison, and Dina Shore (1943); copy of Camp Hale Ski-zette (April 21, 1943); USO program, menu, clippings from Kiska Island (1943-1945); Notice of hospital discharge (1943); Special order no. 277 (1944); family correspondence (1943-1944).
- Smith, Herman A.(Herman Arthur),1920-1997. (Person)
- Erskine, Linwood M., Jr., (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Herman "Arthur" Smith was born on April30, 1920 in Worcester, Mass. and enlisted in the Army on December 26, 1942 at Fort Devens, Mass. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed one year of college, and working as a shipping clerk. Smith joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to the Medical Detachment of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He also trained at Fort Ord, Calif. and was involved with the invasion of Kiska Island (1943). Smith was injured during the invasion and was dischared from the military in 1944 after returning to Camp Hale, Colo. He died on September 3, 1997 in Worcester, Mass.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Linwood M. Erskine, Jr.,1997.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, Herman A. (Herman Arthur), 1920-1997 -- Archives.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States