99th Infantry Battalion Records
Scope and Contents
Collection includes biographical files, news clippings, memorials, tributes, photographs, reunion materials; also various issues of 474 findings, Herald-Saga, Spearhead 474 Infantry Regiment (Separate) newspapers.
- 1942-1945, 1985, 1989
- Smyth, William J., (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
The 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) was a battalion made up of Norwegian nationals and American-born Norwegians. It was called the Viking Battalion and was activated on July 10, 1942 at Camp Ripley in Minn. The battalion trained at Camp Hale (Colo.) with the 10th Mountain Division (1942-1943). Deactivated in October 1945.
Other Finding Aids
Finding aid in repository.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, William J. Smyth, 1992.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Part of 10th Mountain Division Resource Center: Series 5 : Collections relating to 10th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Battalion, 99th -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Infantry Battalion, 99th -- History.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- Norway. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script