Eugene P. Winters Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a scrapbook (1941-ca.1945) with photographs, correspondence, clippings; hand written letter with information about Company G, 87th Infantry Regiment (April 2001).
- 1941-1945; 2001
- Winters, Eugene P.,1919- (Person)
- Winters, Eugene P., 1919- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene P. Winters was born November 25, 1919 in Salem, Oregon the son of Phillip and Ella Winters. He graduated from La Grande High School and worked briefly as a baker before serving in the National Guard. When the National Guard was federalized, Winters enlisted in the Army in the grade of corporal September 16, 1940. He served in the 41st Division Ski Patrol at Mount Rainier and then transferred to the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment at Fort Lewis, Washington. He was assigned to Company C and later served with 87-G. Winters participated in the Kiska operation in 1943. During combat operations against the German Army in Italy, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for heroic achievement as a result of his actions at Polla on February 20, 1945. Following the War, Winters received BS and MS degrees at the University of California-Davis. He was a faculty member at Oregon State University for nearly 30 years, teaching in the college of Agriculture. Winters retired in 1980 with the rank of professor emeritus.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Eugene P. Winters; 2012.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- Winters, Eugene P., 1919- -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eugene P. Winters Papers
- Keli Schmid
- August 21, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States