Jerome Bunty Chaffee Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains three letters (1868-1872), title bond (1864), photocopy of speech (1876), calling cards.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jerome Bunty Chaffee was a Colorado pioneer mining investor and politician. Born April 17, 1825 near Lockport, N.Y. Early career in business and banking in Michigan, Kansas, and Missouri before moving to Colorado February 1860. Built his fortune beginning with ore-processing mill in the Gregory region near Central City. Served in territorial legislature 1860s. Elected territorial delegate to Congress 1870, later to U.S. Senate 1876. President of First National Bank of Denver 1865-1880. Died on March 9, 1886 Westchester County, N.Y.
1 envelope (7 items)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; 1st National Bank,Denver, Colo.; 1972; photocopy of speech. Gift; Fred Rosenstock,Denver, Colo.; 1976; letters, ephemera.
- Bankers -- Colorado -- Denver -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado -- Biography -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- United States -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Politicians -- Colorado -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Jerome Bunty Chaffee Papers.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script