Eugene Verhamme oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Verhamme's experiences: joining in March 1943 with three letters of recommendation; being sent to Camp Hale, Colo. for basic training; sniper activities; training and the cold during the "D" series; training was more difficult than what was faced in Italy; Italy and time spent with an Italian family; shelling at Belvedere and death of company commander; mines on Hill 913 and being wounded; personal stories.
- Check date
- Verhamme, Eugene R.,1924-2005. (Person)
- Kealy, Abby, (Person)
- Verhamme, Eugene R., 1924-2005, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene Verhamme was born on December 14, 1924 in Escanaba, Mich. and elisted in the Army on March 18, 1943 at Kalamazoo, Mich. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of high school. Verhamme joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was initially assigned to Company D of the 86th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company I of the 85th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Castel D'Aiano on April 14, 1945. Verhamme died in Rapid River, Mich. on October 10, 2005.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- Verhamme, Eugene R., 1924-2005 -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Eugene Verhamme oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script