Warren and Elizabeth Stanton Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains W.E. Stanton diaries and family history (1893-1928), autograph book, membership and meeting records for the Cheraw Woman's Club (1927-1945), scrapbooks, letter from Anna Moon, clippings, and ephemera.
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Warren Emory Stanton was born in Battle Creek, Michigan on January 27, 1851, the son of Levi Kimball Stanton (b.1803, Connecticut) and Caroline Clark (b.1816, New York). The Stanton family lived on a farm in Johnston, Barry County, Michigan. Warren Stanton married Elizabeth Presnell (b.Sept. 16, 1859; Hamilton County, Indiana, -d.1939, Oregon) on June 26, 1884. She was the daughter of Jeremiah L. Presnell (b.1818, North Carolina, -d. 1875) and Martha P. Bales (b.1823, North Carolina -d 1896).
Warren and Elizabeth lived and farmed for a time in Sheridan County, Kansas before moving to Newburg, Yamhill County, Oregon (by 1900). Following their time in Oregon, they moved to East Holbrook, Otero County, Colorado. They stayed in Colorado until the mid-1920s, then moved to Albany, Linn County, Oregon. The couple had two children: L. Russell Stanton (b.1890, Kansas) and Anna M. Stanton-Rich (b.1885, Kansas). Warren Stanton died in Oregon in 1949 and is buried with his wife at Riverside Cemetery in Denver.
2 oversize box(es)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Elizabeth A. Stanton, 2013.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Cheraw (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cheraw Women's Club (Cheraw, Colo.) -- Archival resources.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Farm life -- Colorado -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm life -- Kansas -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm life -- Oregon -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stanton family -- Archives.
- Stanton, Elizabeth P., 1859-1932 -- Archives.
- Stanton, Warren E., 1851-1949 -- Archives.
- Finding Aid for the Warren and Elizabeth Stanton family papers,1882-1945[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description