Charles A. Murphy Jr. oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Murphy's experiences: being drafted on Freeport, Long Island and making application to join the 10th Mountain Division; acceptance and the beginning of training at Camp Hale in August 1944; being injured during training, recovery; time at Camp Hale and Camp Swift; leaving for Italy from Va. in December 1944; mission to take Della Torraccial and being one of six soldiers to arrive at the top; post war activities in Italy from May to July 1945.
- Check date
- Murphy, Charles A.,Jr.,1924- (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Murphy, Charles A., Jr., 1924- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Murphy was born on July 12, 1924 in Freeport, N.Y. and joined the Army on July 15, 1943 in New York City, N.Y. after graduating from high school. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company A of the 90th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company I of the 86th Infantry Regiment. When the Division was sent to Camp Swift, Tex. Murphy joined the boxing team and won the welterweight championship of the 10th Mountain Division. He received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po River campaigns in Spring 1945. Murphy also received the Good Conduct Medal and the Mediterranean Theatre Ribbon, and attained the rank of Private First Class.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Murphy, Charles A., Jr., 1924- -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Charles A. Murphy Jr. oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States