Pierson M. Ralph oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provide personal observation about Pierson's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division: joining the military while at the Colorado School of Mines; applied directly to the mountain troops; describes the communication system as used during combat; being injured while on Riva Ridge and being taken to the aid station and experiences in the hospital; experiences at Camp Hale and Camp Swift; how he spent time waiting for discharge.
- no date
- Ralph, Pierson M.(Pierson McMillan),1924- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Pierson McMillian Ralph was born in Buffalo, N.Y. and enlisted in the Army in December of 1942. He was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division's training camp at Camp Hale, Colo. Ralph served in the Headquarters Division 2nd Battalion and Headquarters Division 1st Battalion of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He moved with his unit to Camp Swift, Tex. to continue training before being deployed to Italy. In Italy Ralph earned a Bronze Star Medal and a Purple Heart for wounds suffered in action on April 14, 1945 at Rocca di Roffeno. He attained the rank of T/5.
1 videocassette:sound, color ; 1/2 in. ;+ 1 envelope
Other Finding Aids
Typed notes available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ralph, Pierson M. (Pierson McMillan), 1924- -- Interviews.
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- VHS Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Videocassettes. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Pierson M. Ralph oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States