Paul R. Lafferty oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides biographical information and personal observations about Lafferty's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division: cowboy and mountaineer experience prior to entering the Army; experiences in the Mountain Training Center, in the 87th Infantry Regiment, and as commander of Company A, 86th Battalion; building and establishment of Camp Hale, Colo.; testing of new snow equipment; and at one time was put in charge of 25 mules, two horses and the K-9 group. He also participated in making of a movie about the ski troopers (title of movie not given).
- no date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Paul R. Lafferty was born in Ore. on August 17, 1910. He was married, had graduated from the University of Ore. (1932) and working in his father's wholesale grocery business until enlisting in the U.S. Army after Pearl Habor. Laffery served as a Lt. Colonel with the 10th Mountain Division at Ft. Lewis, Calif., Camp Hale, Colo., and at Camp Swift, Tex. He was assigned to Company A 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment, Headquarters Company 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment, and 10th Mountain Infantry Division, Headquarters Company. Lafferty died in Ore. on January 13, 1992.
Other Finding Aids
Typed notes available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Songs of the 10th Mountain Division are included on side B of the tape.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Armed Forces -- Officers -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lafferty, Paul R., 1910-1992 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Paul R. Lafferty oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script