Edward D. McDonald Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photocopies of memoir: No Japs at All by Edward D. McDonald (ca.1947); photocopy of a photograph of Edward McDonald (n.d.); photocopy of letter written to Richard Rocker by Mary McDonald (1948).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Edward D. McDonald, Jr. was born in Ohio in 1920 and enlisted in the Army on October 28, 1942 at Cleveland, Ohio. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of college. McDonald joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion of the 87th Infantry Regiment. McDonald trained at Fort Ord, Calif. and participated in the invasion of Kiska Island. He returned to Camp Hale and was later sent with his unit to Camp Swift, Tex. and served in Italy. McDonald received a Bronze Star Medal for his actions in the Apennine Mountains on April 14, 1945. He attained the rank of Private First Class. After the war, McDonald was killed in a rock climbing accident (ca.1947).
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Richard A. Rocker, date unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McDonald, Edward D., 1920- -- Archives.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Xerographic copies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script