Eugene Keskimaki oral history
Identifier: C MSS OH406
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Keskimaki's experiences: being a Staff Sergeant; working primarily as a cook; time at Kiska Island and Japanese army leaving rice; fishing and using hand grenades; soldiers loosing their teeth after drinking contaminated water; being wounded in Italy in the back; personal stories.
- Check date
- Keskimaki, Eugene I.,1920-2010. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene I. Keskimaki was born in Eben Junction, Mich. on April 13, 1920 and joined the Army in 1942. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed one year of college and working in the auto industry. Keskimaki joined the 10th Mountain Division and was, at various times, a member of Companies H, M, and Headquarters of the 3rd and 2nd Battaltions of the 87th Infantry Division. He served at Fort Lewis, Wash., Jolon, Calif., and Fort Ord, Calif. before deploying to Kiska Island, Alaska. He also trained at Camp Carson, Colo. and at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. During combat operations at Tole, Keskimaki received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions on April 14, 1945. He died in Marquette, Mich. on December 3, 2010.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Keskimaki, Eugene I., 1920-2010 -- Interviews.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Eugene Keskimaki oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script