C. Peter Austin oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Austin's experiences: his responsibilities, duties and administrative tasks of the D-3 operation; traveling with General Ruffner 50 miles behind enemy lines to have a truce agreement signed; delivering a message to Riva Ridge, having a flat tire and encountering Germans along the way and how they helped and the discussions the soldiers had with him.
- Check date
- Austin, C. Peter,(Clarence Peter),Jr.1923-2007. (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Austin, C. Peter, (Clarence Peter), Jr. 1923-2007, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Clarence Peter Austin, Jr. was born in N.Y. on October 11, 1923 and enlisted in the Army on August 8, 1942 at Syracuse, N.Y. At the time of his enlistment, Austin was single, had completed one year of college, and working as an actor. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Austin eventually became a Staff Sergeant and served with the Division Headquarters Company. In spring 1945, during combat operations in Italy, he received the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and Po River campaigns. Austin died in Brackney, Pa. on September 26, 2007.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Austin, C. Peter, (Clarence Peter), Jr. 1923-2007 -- Interviews.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the C. Peter Austin oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script