Alvin L. Monroe Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains blueprints from machine shops located inside the tunnels near Lake Garda (1944), Fiat factory time card (1945), train schedule (1945), correspondence; military records (1943-1945), booklet, photographs (1945).
- Majority of material found within 1943-1945
- Monroe, Alvin L.,1922-2006. (Person)
- Monroe, Alvin L., 1922-2006 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Alvin Leon Monroe was born on May 27, 1922 in Newaygo, Mich. He was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working in the Pontiac Motor Division of General Motors before requesting a special service assignment with the Army Corps of Engineers in June 1943. Monroe joined Company D of the 126th Engineers of the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. He also trained at Camp Swift, Tex. before being deployed to Italy. Monroe obtained the rank of T/5 and was awarded two Bronze Star Medals. He died on August 17, 2006 in Davison, Mich.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Alvin Monroe, 1988.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monroe, Alvin L., 1922-2006 -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Engineer Battalion, 126th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States