Earhart family papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a large assortment of correspondence between Lavinia Earhart-Black, Mildred Earhart and other family members, family photographs, two scrapbooks on Colorado Women's College and containing family postcards.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William S. Earhart was born in Milford, Ohio on September 18, 1871 the son of John and Catharine A. Earhart. He married Florence Homsher (1869-1945) on November 3, 1897 in Preble, Ohio. The couple had three daughters, two of which grew to adulthood: Mildred H. (1903-1999) and Lavinia V. (1907-2002) Earhart. William Earhart was an electrician and electrical contractor based in Denver, Colo. Mildred Earhart attended Manual High School (1921), and Colorado Women's College. She married in 1936 and moved to Tulsa, Okla., but later divorced and returned to Denver. She worked as a medical secretary at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C. Lavinia Vaid Earhart worked as a musician and secretary. She married Arthur Merrill Black (1901-1971) in Clayton, Mo. on September 7, 1946. In later year, Mildred and Lavinia lived together in the Earhart family home at 1015 Filmore Street, Denver, Colo.
1 oversize boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Black, Lavinia V., 1970-2002 -- Archives.
- Earhart, Mildred E., 1903-1999 -- Archives.
- Erhardt family -- Archival resources.
- Families -- Colorado -- Denver -- History -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manners and customs -- Women -- Correspondence -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Postcards. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women -- Colorado -- Denver -- History -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Earhart family papers,1903-1999[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script