Artists' Club of Denver Records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains exhibitions price lists (1921, 1924), notifications and invitations (1907-1917), bios for member artists (1916), clippings (1899-1901, 1905), brochures (1897, 1914, 1917), correspondence and notes (1905, 1907), record book (1905) of the arts and crafts dept. giving its purpose, sections, and members, sections listed: bookbinding, clay, decorative design, leather, metal, textiles, wood, glass.
- Artists' Club (Denver, Colo.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Artists' Club of Denver established Dec. 16, 1893. Name changed 1917 to Denver Art Association. Club sponsored annual exhibitions starting in 1894, as well as lectures and other activities to further art in Denver. Became the Denver Art Museum in 1923.
Art-Crafts committee appointed by council 1905. Dept. concerned with appreciation, design, and workmanship of various handicrafts; furthered by classes, meetings, and exhibitions. Dept. chair: Elisabeth Spalding. Annual exhibitions begin 1905 and continued until at least 1909?
1 envelope (6 files, 1 notebook)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transfer; no date. Transfer; Elizabeth Spalding papers, WH14; 2002. Transfer; clippings files; 2022.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection formerly cataloged as: Arts-Crafts department records.
- Art -- Colorado -- Denver -- Societies and clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Artists' Club (Denver, Colo.) -- Archival resources
- Artists' Club (Denver, Colo.) -- Arts-Crafts Department -- Archival resources
- Decoration and ornament -- Colorado -- Denver -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver Art Association -- Archival resources
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Handicraft -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lists (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Artists' Club of Denver Records.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script