Kenneth A. MacDonald oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about MacDonald's experiences: background at Dartmouth and Harvard Law School and reasons for joining the 10th Mountain Division; time and conditions at Camp Hale, Colo. and Camp Swift, Tex.; wife's involvement; incidences in Italy, especially Mt. Belvedere; April Offensive and being wounded, aid station and hospital experiences; narratives by Alfred Simo and Harold McAfee; death of friend Lorenz Koehler; post war activities and attitudes towards the war; reading letters written home to his wife during March and April 1945.
- Check date
- MacDonald, Kenneth A.,1917-2012. (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- MacDonald, Kenneth A., 1917-2012, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Kenneth A. MacDonald was born in Mass. on October 30, 1917 and enlisted in the Army on December 9, 1942 at Boston, Mass. At the time of enlistment he was married, had completed four years of college at Dartmouth, graduate work at Harvard Law School and working as a lawyer. MacDonald joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company L of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. During combat operations at Mount Belvedere, he was awarded the Bronze Star medal on February 21, 1945 and was later wounded in action near Castel d'Aiano in Hill 913 on April 14, 1945. MacDonald achieved the rank of Technical Sargeant. He died in Seattle, Wash. on November 19, 2012.
5 videocassettes (200 min.) :sd., col. ; 1/2 in. + 1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MacDonald, Kenneth A., 1917-2012 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Kenneth A. MacDonald oral history,2002[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States