Melvin R. Mailloux Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photocopy of correspondence by Mailloux describing the last months of WWII in Italy and honoring his friend, Tim Evans (1999); magazine article (1945).
- 1945, 1999
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Melvin R. Mailloux was born in Mass. on March 15, 1925 and enlisted in the Army on June 22, 1943 in Boston. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, and had completed high school. Mailloux joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Headquarters Company of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He transferred with his unit to Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Mailloux was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions in the Apennine Mountains and Po River Valley campaigns in Spring 1945 and attained the rank of Sergeant. He died in Durham, N.C. on November 5, 2007.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Melvin R. Mailloux, 1999.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Mailloux, Melvin R., 1925-2007 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script