Eldon C. Metzger Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains original family correspondence (1942-1945); photographs of Camp Hale and Camp Carson, Colo. (1940s); color photographs of Rome and Venice, Italy (ca.1946).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Eldon Metzger was born on July 12, 1914 in Gresham, Ore. and enlisted in the Army on February 20, 1941 at Portland, Ore. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of high school and working for a banking and milling business. Metzger joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Wash. and participated in training in Canada on the Columbia Ice Fields glacier near Lake Louise, B.C. (1942). He continued training at Hunter-Liggett Military Reservation near Jolon, Calif., and was also stationed at Fort Ord, Calif. Metzger was assigned to Company A of the 87th Infantry Regiment and also served on Kiska Island, Alaska. He returned to Camp Hale, Colo. before being deployed for service in Italy. Metzger attained the rank of Techinical Sergeant. He died in Framingham, Mass. on August 10, 1984.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Loretta Metzger, 2003.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Metzger, Eldon C., 1914-1984 -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script