Clifford Allen Betts Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains personal papers: correspondence, financial papers, genealogy, clippings and photographs; professional papers: correspondence, diaries and journals, organizations, subject files, clippings, photographs, publications, and awards. Photograph album (180) (87 photographic prints): views of the Moffat Tunnel under construction by the Denver & Salt Lake Railroad company with images of railroad employees include kitchen staff, construction workers, and managers; program; clippings (ca.1922-1927, 1979). Photograph album (249) (25 photographs prints): views of coal fields and mining near Coalmont, Jackson County, Colo., the Laramie, Hahn's Peak and Pacific Railroad, coal miners, veins of coal, automobiles, and a group of well dressed men, possibly investors. Some views are of Steamboat Springs in Routt County, Colo. (ca.1910-1920).
- Majority of material found in 1920-1979
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Born Norwalk, Conn. on September 12, 1889. Received a degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Wisconsin (1913) and Ph.D. from Yale University. Early in his professional career he held engineering positions in Norwalk and Bridgeport, Conn. Betts left the East to work as an engineer for the City of Portland, Ore., and then served for a short period as Chief Engineer of the Cummings-Moberly Lumber Company. In 1919 he joined the U. S. Forest Service in Denver, Colo., as an engineer on the Fraser River, Williams Fork and Blue River projects and later as the Office Engineer for the Moffat Tunnel Commission (1923-1928). Betts then joined the Bureau of Reclamation as engineer on the Owyhee Dam project (1928-1934). He subsequently held various positions with the U. S. Forest Service in Washington. D. C. After leaving government service in 1954 he joined the engineering firm of Alvord, Burdick and Howson before becoming an independent consultant in 1956. Betts was considered an expert on hydraulics. He died in Denver, Colo. in February 1982.
1 audiovisual envelope(s)
3 oversize box(es)
6 oversize folders
2 oversize folio(s)
3 photo box(es)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Allen W. Betts, 1986; Virginia Seiser, circa 2003.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection contains former: C Photo Album 249; now OVPhBx1, (PAFI Album 249), C Photo Album 180; now OVPhBx2, (PAFI Album 180).
Physical condition: many photographic prints are stained and /or fading.
- Automobiles -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Betts, Clifford A. (Clifford Allen), 1889-1982 -- Archives.
- Coal mines and mining -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver and Salt Lake Railway Company -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Hydraulic engineering -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hydraulic engineers -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Laramie, Hahn's Peak, and Pacific Railway Company -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Moffat Tunnel (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Owyhee Project (U.S.) -- History.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Professional papers. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroad tunnels -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- Design and construction -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script