2003 Return to Italy Records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a photograph album compiled by Gerry Furth-Sides, descendant of Sergeant Lee G. Furth, 616th Filed Artillery (Pack) medic, during the 2003 Return to Italy 10th Mountain Division Reunion. The album contains approximately 94 color photographs documenting activities, participants, and locations during the reunion with accompanying text for clarification and identification. Ephemera includes participant name tag, post cards, clippings, label.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
The 10th Mountain Division, a full division of the US Army specializing in mountain and winter warfare, trained at Camp Hale, Colorado, during WWII. Experienced in skiing, mountaineering, and cold-weather survival as well as military tactics, the soldiers fought enemy forces in the Italian Campaign of 1945. Dubbed the "ski troops" by the press, the 10th Mountain Division remains the only military division recruited by a civilian organization, the National Ski Patrol. Many veterans of the 10th contributed greatly to the development of the recreational ski industry in the US and to the growth of related fields such as outdoor equipment development, and nature conservation.
The National Association of the 10th Mountain Division has sponsored reunions in Italy approximately every three years since 1969. The photograph album in this collection documents one of these reunions.
.25 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Gerry Furth-Sides; 2013.
Physical condition: photos and ephemera are in good condition.
- Color photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Furth-Sides, Gerry -- Photographs.
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. -- Archival resources.
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reunions -- Italy -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Photographs -- 21st century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Photographs.
- 2003 Return to Italy Records
- Keli Schmid
- June 25, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script