Ralph L. Drake Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photo album with photos of Camp Hale, Colo. with annotations, military records, and ephemera (1942-1943); additional materials include Drake family genealogy, Ralph L. Drake honorable discharge (1919), Marquis L. Drake Civil War pension records (1913).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Ralph Lafayette “Corky” Drake was born December 8, 1899 at Fort Scott, Kansas, the son of Marquis L. and Lulu Drake. He entered the University of Kansas in the fall of 1918, but then enlisted in the Army October 1, 1918 to participate in World War I as a private. He was honorably discharged December 21, 1918 and graduated in 1922. Drake attended Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia from 1922 to 1926 and interned at Philadelphia General Hospital from 1926 to 1928. Throughout the 1930s, Drake served primarily as a Psychiatrist and Neurologist. Despite his age, he volunteered for service during World War II and was accepted. Among his assignments, he served as Chief of Medical Service and Chief of Neuropsychiatric Service at Camp Hale, Colorado as part of the station complement during the time the 10th Mountain Division was stationed there. He passed away September 22, 1994 at Wichita, Kansas.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Katherine Hagerman; 2013.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drake, Ralph L. (Ralph Lafayette) 1899-1994, -- Archives.
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photo albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Officers -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ralph L. Drake Papers
- Keli Schmid
- September 11, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script