Erling O. Omland Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains copies of manuscripts, correspondence, publicity for Omland memoirs: Hill Echoes (1994-1997); copies of family correspondence (1943-1944); copies of clippings, roster lists, packing lists, ski scores (1943-1997), booklet of poems (1945-1995); photographs of Fort Drum Reunion (1998).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Erling Omar Omland was bonr May 21, 1917 in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, the son of Jacob Omland, an electrician and Bessie Omland, a homemaker. Both Omland’s parents were born in Norway and Omland moved to Norway with his mother, who returned to Norway in 1925 for health reasons. Returning to the States, Omland volunteered for the “ski troops” March 3, 1943. As a member of the Mountain Training Group and the 10th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, Omland supervised and taught rock climbing and mountaineering. He transferred to the 87th Infantry Regiment at Camp Swift and was a squad leader during combat in Italy. He was wounded in action and received a Bronze Star Medal April 16, 1945.
Omland moved to Vermont in 1952. He married Carolyn Burke in 1955 and the couple had three children. Although Omland did not earn a college degree, he worked as an office manager for Green Mountain Marble, general manager for Killington Wood Products and finance officer for Rutland (Vermont) Mental Health Services. Omland has written extensively about skiing and his experiences with the 10th Mountain Division.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Erling Omland; 1994, 1998.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Omland, Erling Omar -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Erling O. Omland Papers
- Keli Schmid
- September 11, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script