Charles C. Messler Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection includes scrapbook materials, change of address material, copies of photos and ephemera.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Charles C. Messler, Jr. was born on March 18, 1924 in Mount Vernon, New York. He completed four years of high school before joining the National Ski Patrol in January 1943. Messler subsequently joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. He served in several companies of the 85th and 86th Infantry Regiments. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. and saw combat duty in Italy. During his three years with the 10th Mountain Division, Messler attained the rank of staff sergeant (four stripes), meaning that he was the leader of a squad of twelve men. Messler died in White Plains, N.Y. on June 20, 2012.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Charles Messler; 2006.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Messler, Charles C., Jr., 1924-2012 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charles C. Messler Papers
- Keli Schmid
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script