Marvin C. Lutz Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains Lutz's service memo book with handwritten entries (January 1-April 16, 1945); War Department letter (n.d.); Vigil Light pamphlet (n.d.).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Marvin C. Lutz was born in N.J. on January 5, 1920 and enlisted in the Army on November 25, 1942 at Newark, N.J. At the time of his enlistment he had completed 8th grade, was married and working as a farmer. Lutz jointed the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company K of the 87th Mountain Infantry. He was transferred with his unit to Fort Ord, Calif. before being deployed to Kiska Island in the Aleutians. Lutz returned to Camp Hale, Colo. before being sent to Camp Swift, Tex. and was eventually deployed to Italy in January 1945. He was killed in action on April 15, 1945 at Mt. Croce. Lutz attained the rank of Private First Class and also received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Blanche R. Moore, 2004.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lutz, Marvin C., 1920-1945 -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script