D. J. Cook Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains several confidential telegrams from Gov. Pitkin in Denver to Gen. Cook in Leadville, June 1880, concerning Cook's command of state forces to preserve peace and protect property during a miners' strike. Other items: correspondence, certificates of appointment, special order regarding the Militia during inauguration of John L. Routt as governor of Colorado 1876.
- Cook, D. J.(David J.),1840-1907. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
David J. Cook (1840-1907) was a Colo. law-enforcement official. Served as city marshal of Denver, sheriff of Arapahoe County, deputy U.S. marshal for Colo., major general of Colorado Militia. During Leadville strike 1880, General Cook was sent by Governor Pitkin to impose martial law and restore order.
1 envelope (16 items)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase; Forest H. Sweet, Battle Creek, Mich.; 1942.
- Colorado -- Militia -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado Territory -- 19th century -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cook, D. J. (David J.), 1840-1907 -- Archives.
- Lake County (Colo.) -- 19th century -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leadville (Colo.) -- 19th century -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Martial law -- Colorado -- Lake County -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orders (military records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pitkin, Frederick W. (Frederick Walker), 1837-1886 -- Correspondence.
- Routt, John Long, 1826-1907 -- Inauguration, 1876.
- Strikes and lockouts -- Miners -- Colorado -- Leadville -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Telegrams Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the D. J. Cook Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script