James Bland Papers
Scope and Contents
Last page of a letter [189-] written on U.S. Post Office, Bland, Colo. stationery. Copies of Bland's birth and marriage certificates (certified copies Feb. 1963 from General Register Office, Somerset House, London).
- Bland, James, 1839-1921 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Colo. farmer and stock grower born May 17, 1839 near Kendal, Westmorland, England. Married to Mary Lockyer (1840-1917). Immigrated to America in 1870, travelled first to Omaha, Neb. then Denver, Colo. (1872). Located in Elbert County, Colo. (1873). Elected post master of rural post office at Bland (named for him) on May 2, 1883. Post Office operated between 1882-1921. Died in 1921 and buried in the Simla Cemetery, Elbert County, Colo.
1 envelope (3 items)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; John T. Dyall,London, England; 1963.
- Bland (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bland Post Office (Elbert County, Colo.) -- Specimens.
- Bland family -- Genealogy.
- Bland, James, 1839-1921 -- Archival resources.
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ranchers -- Colorado -- Elbert County -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the James Bland Papers.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script