Constance La Lena papers
Scope and Contents
Collection documents La Lena's interest in Trinidad, Colo., history and historic preservation; especially related to Trinidad based architects: Issac Hamilton Rapp (1854-1933), William Mason Rapp (1863-1920), and Charles William Bulger (1851-1922). Also includes Isaac Family genealogy (1893-1913), Rosenwald family history, Jewish history, and info on Temple Aaron.
- Majority of material found in 1980-1999
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Constance La Lena was born in Ind. in 1934. She first learned how to sew by watching her mother mending clothes. La Lena learned how to weave from Her third grade teacher, Miss Lyons. While in college, she studied painting, drawing, print making, photography, and fashion design. After college, La Lena opened a weaving studio (1971). where she formulated her own dyes from industrial powders, yielding over 500 reproducible colors of high light- and wash-fastness for wool and silk. She also formulated an additional 500 reproducible colors for cotton, rayon, and linen. A collection of her hand-woven fashion clothing was selected for inclusion in the Craft Multiples exhibition at the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution. The exhibtion opened in Washington D.C. in 1975 and later toured the U.S. until 1979.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Arianthe C. Stettner;2015.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Architecture -- Colorado -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bulger and Rapp (Trinidad, Colo.) -- Archival resources
- Bulger, Charles William, 1851-1922 -- History.
- I.H. and W.M. Rapp (Trinidad, Colo.) -- Archival resources.
- Jews -- Colorado -- Trinidad -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- La Lena, Constance, 1934- -- Archives.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rapp, Issac Hamilton, 1854-1933 -- History.
- Rapp, William Mason, 1863-1920 -- History.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Trinidad (Colo.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Constance La Lena papers,1915-1999,1980-1999
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script