John H. Pierpont Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains copies of newspaper clippings (1945), personal correspondence (1945), journal entry (1945), Bronze Star citation (1945), travel history (1936).
- Peirpont, John H.(John Hobson),1917-2002. (Person)
- Peirpont, John H. (John Hobson), 1917-2002 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Hobson Pierpont was born in Worcester, Mass. on April 26, 1917 and enlisted in the Army on August 25, 1942 at Fort Devens, Mass. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried and had graduated from Harvard University and was working as a purchasing agent. Pierpont joined the 10th Mountain Division at Ft. Lewis, Wash. where he was assigned to a number of different companies before becoming a member of Company D of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He participated in the invasion of Kiska Island and served at Camp Hale, Colo. and Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Pierpont was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions on Mount Della Spe during March 10-14, 1945 and attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. He died in Santa Fe, N.M. on March 18, 2002.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, John Pierpont, 1992.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peirpont, John H. (John Hobson), 1917-2002 -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States