Bob Dole Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains newspaper clippings, congressional report (May 19, 1970), correspondence regarding reactivation of the 10th Mt. Division (January 11, 1985), transcript for an interview with Maria Teichner for CBS Sunday Morning (1994), transcript for speech to Senate about the 50th Anniversary of WWII (1994) and campaign materials and photos.
- Dole, Robert J.,1923- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert J. Dole was born on July 22, 1923 in Russell, Kans., the second of four children. In 1942, joined the Army's Enlisted Reserve Corps to fight in World War II. Became a second lieutenant in the Army's 10th Mountain Division with Company I of the 85th Infantry Regiment. While trying to assist a wounded radioman, he was hit by enemy machine gun fire in the upper right back and his right arm was shattered. He received the Bronze Star. Following the war and a painful rehabilitation, he attended law school. In I952, he was elected Russell County Attorney, a post he held until elected to Congress in 1960. Elected to the Senate in 1968 and served as Senate Majority leader both in 1984 and 1994. Ran unsuccessfully for President in 1996.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Dole, Robert J., 1923- -- Archival resources.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Politicians -- United States -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presidential candidates -- United States -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bob Dole Papers,1970-1994
- Keli Schmid
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States