Dr. Robert R. Janowski Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains materials assembled by Janowski related to violence against gays, national gay health, AIDS health advocacy, Colorado AIDS Project.
- Janowski, Robert R.(Robert Raymond),Dr.,1949- (Person)
- Janowski, Robert R. (Robert Raymond), Dr., 1949- , (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Robert R. Janowski was born in 1949. He received his medical degree from the University of Michigan (1974), later establishing a medical practive in Denver, Colo. (1976). Janowski has advocated for homosexual healthcare, liberation, rights, and awareness through groups like the Gay Community Center of Colorado, Gay and Lesbian Health Alliance of Denver, Health Professionals Group of Denver, and Colorado AIDS Project. In his medical practice, Janowski emphasized the care of HIV/AIDS in Colorado during the 1980's and 1990's, and attended the pivotal 1986 International AIDS Conference in Paris, France. With researchers from the Denver and Colorado Departments of Health, he worked on clinical trials of multiple experimental drugs to combat HIV and concomitant opportunistic infections. He has also participated in National Gay and Lesbian Health Conferences, ran “Safe Weeks” in clinics serving gay patients, contributed to the “Open Forum” column in the Denver Post, and has done investigative research regarding homosexual victims of crimes and social rejection. After discontinuing his family medicine practice (1999), Janowski volunteered with Bridges for Education and Boomers Leading Change, among other advocacy organizations, and was Production Director for Learning Ally.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Robert Janowski, 2015, 2016.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection acquired through the Colorado LGBT History Project sponsored by the GLBT Community Center of Colorado.
- Colorado AIDS project -- History.
- Gay activists -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gays -- Health -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gays -- Violence against -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Janowski, Robert R. (Robert Raymond), Dr., 1949- -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Physicians (General practice) -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script