Journal, Steamer De Smet, Trip No. 4
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a handwritten, daily record of the events for the riverboat De Smet traveling on the Missouri River from Saint Louis, Missouri to Fort Benton, Montana and the return trip (1873). Topics include: 170 tons of freight, mostly for Fort Benton, the balance for Sioux City and points below; some passengers names; riverboat temporarily seized at Fort Benton, where Capt. Joseph La Barge was charged with selling whiskey at Indian reservations. Collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm126).
- May 13 – August 1, 1873
- Mottaz, Alexis C.1852-1931. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
The riverboat DeSmet was built and piloted by famed captain, Joseph LaBarge (1815-1899). The captain named the steamer after his friend, Father Pierre Jean DeSmet (1801-1873), who was a Belgian Roman Catholic priest and member of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) active in missionary work among the Indians of the Midwestern and Western United States in the mid-19th century. The DeSmet one of the last side-wheel steamers to navigate the upper Missouri to Fort Benton, Montana.
1 envelope (16 pages)
1 Microfilm Reels
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Fred Rosenstock, n.d.
Collection includes microfilm Mflm 126.
Relationship between Alexis Mottaz and journal has not been established.
- De Smet (River steamer) -- Archival resources.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Benton (Mont.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Internal migrants -- West (U.S.) -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- La Barge, Joseph, 1815-1899 -- Archival resources.
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Missouri River -- Navigation -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mottaz, Alexis C., 1852-1931.
- Shipping -- Missouri River -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script