Carleton B. Shay Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains: CD-Rom with copies, pictures and documents used for My Life in the Mountain Troops oral history (n.d.); soldiers handbooks (1943-1945).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Carleton Shay was born on January 26, 1924 in Berkeley, California. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado as a member of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He served with various companies in the 86th and 87th Infantries. As a member of the Mountain Training Group (MTG) he taught rock climbing to 10th Mountain Division troops most of his time at Hale before joining Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion of the 87th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, Shay received a Bronze Star medal for his actions on Mount Della Vedetta on March 5, 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Carleton B. Shay; 2015.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Shay, Carleton B., 1924- -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carleton B. Shay Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 11, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script