William W. Milligan Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains wartime correspondence (1942-1946), clippings (1943-1944), photo album of Camp Hale, Colo. and Kiska Island, Alaska (1943), photographs (1996).
- Milligan, William W.(William West),1923-2012. (Person)
- Milligan, Sue, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William West Milligan was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio December 24, 1923, the son of William F. and Margaret W. Milligan. He graduated from Sidney High School, where he earned a place on the school’s Hall of Honor. While studying in Mexico, Milligan received a recommendation from a mountain climbing club that resulted in his assignment to 10th Mountain Division during World War II. He enlisted in the Army November 10, 1942 and served with the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment until selected for officer training in August, 1944.
Following the war, Milligan earned a BA, cum laude, from Hiram College and obtained his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School. In 1952, he continued his studies at the Montevideo Law School in Uruguay.
Milligan’s distinguished law career included extensive terms in public service. He served as an assistant Attorney General and as Executive Secretary to the Sidney Charter Commission. He was elected to four terms in the Ohio House of Representatives and served as counsel to the Antitrust Subcommittee of the U.S. House of Representatives. Milligan was also U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio and Chairman of the Ohio Unemployment Compensation Review Commission.
Milligan practiced law privately and also with the firms of Emens, Hurd, Kegler and Ritter and Lane, Alton and Horst. He volunteered extensively in numerous church, social and community organizations. When not reading the Economist or playing chess, he loved to be with family.
Milligan passed away March 3, 2012 at Columbus, Ohio.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Sue Milligan; 2014.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Milligan, William W. (William West), 1923-2012 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William W. Milligan Papers
- Keli Schmid
- September 11, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States