Robert F. McFarren Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains scrapbook with newspaper clippings (ca.1945), photographs, picture post cards; email correspondence (re: acquisition of material through Ebay and fund raising efforts); photo album contains approximately 170 photographs and McFarren's commission as 1st Lieutenant.and graduation program (1944); additional loose photographs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and separation papers.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert F. McFarren was born in Mich. in 1917. He had completed two years of college and was working as an engineer's aide when he enlisted in the Army on February 27, 1943 in Los Angeles, Calif. McFarren joined the 10th Mountain Division while it was engaged in mountain and winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colo. He attended the Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Ga. and received his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant on November 22, 1944. McFarren served with Headquarters Company of the 85th Infantry Regiment and was stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. He received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions in the Apennines and Po River battles during the Spring, 1945. He died in Monterey, Calif. on July 31, 1997.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McFarren, Robert F., 1917-1997 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert F. McFarren Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 31, 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script