Lewis F. St. John Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains training certificate (Camp Roberts, Calif.); midget diary; This Damn Tree Leaks by Bill Mauldin (with hand-written notes); loose photographs; newspaper clippings; scrapbook (copies of photographs, newspaper clippings, discharge papers); V-mail; military forms; photograph album (picture post card views of Italy).
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Lewis Frederick St. John was born on November 14, 1918 in Craig, Colo. Prior to his enlistment in the Army on September 18, 1943 at Denver, Colo., St. Lewis had completed grammar school and married Louisa Jo Williams. He served at Camp Hale, Colo.; Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. Assigned to the 3rd Battalion Headquarters Company, 85th Infantry Regiment, 10th Mountain Division. Prior to his enlistment in the Army on September 18, 1943, St. John had completed grammar school and married Louisa Jo Williams. He served at Camp Hale, Colorado; Camp Swift, Texas and in Italy. During combat operations in Italy, St. John was twice awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Mt. Belvedere on February 20, 1945 and at Castel D'Aiano on April 14, 1945. He died on September 25, 1991 in Saint Maries, Idaho.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Lousia St. John Durkin; 1996, 2007.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. John, Lewis F. (Lewis Frederick), 1918-1991 -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lewis F. St. John Papers
- Keli Schmid
- June 16, 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script