John R. Henderson Military Records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains: diary of Henderson's early days in the military (June 1-July 19, 1898); military records: discharge papers; appointments; bronze medal of honor award; poem; essay; microfilm (Mflm114) copy of diary.
- Henderson, John R.,1862-1941. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John R. Henderson was born in 1862 in Bethlehem, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, the son of Robert and Caroline Henderson. By 1887, he was working as a teacher in Denver and also a member of the 1st Regiment, Colorado National Guard. Henderson was mustered into service at Camp Adams near City Park, Denver, Colorado and later sent to Fort David A. Russell near Cheyenne, Wyoming for training. He later became a Corporal in the Denver City Troops of the First Squadron, Cavalry, Colorado National Guard before being discharged on June 13, 1898. Henderson then enlisted in Troop B, 2nd Cavalry, United States Volunteers. He was appointed to the rank of Sergeant while at Camp Cuba Libre, Florida in August 1898 and received the Bronze Star Medal. Henderson later worked as a high school teacher in Denver, Colorado. He died on August 20, 1941 and is buried at Fairmount Cemetery.
1 envelopes (13 items)
1 microfilm reels (35mm) (MFLM114)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown donor; no date.
Diary in fragile condition. Microfilm (Mflm 114) should be used.
- Colorado. National Guard -- 19th century -- Personal narratives.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort David A. Russell (Wyo.) -- 19th century -- Personal narratives. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Henderson, John R., 1862-1941 -- Archives.
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Spanish-American War, 1898. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army -- Military life -- 19th century.
- United States. Army. Volunteer Cavalry, 2nd.
- Finding Aid for the John R. Henderson Military Records.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description