John E. Leet Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence, legal documents, programs, invitations, certificates, photo copy of journals (1888, 1889), college scrapbook (1867-1870), mourning banner; two scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings of Denver elections and city government and editorials written by Leet for the Denver Tribune and the New Orleans Republican (1884-1885, 1895); account books for Leetsdale Farm (1884-1894); account ledgers of Colorado and Wyoming properties; Denver real estate record books (1884-1896); microfilm reels contain copies of the Denver real estate block books (Mflm30).
- Majority of material found within 1884-1897
- Leet, John E.(John Edward),1847-1922. (Person)
- Downing, Warwick, (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Edward Leet was a journalist and real estate developer. B. Jan. 4, 1847, Steelville, Mo. Graduated Univ. of Kentucky 1870. Moved to New Orleans, La. and edited New Orleans Republican. Moved to Denver, Colo. 1879. Besides intermittent newspaper work, opened a real estate office. Interested in local Republican politics. Also involved in land development in Wyoming. Helped found Douglas, Wyo. 1886. D. 1922.
1 oversize box
1 Oversize file folder
2 microfilm reels
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Warwick Downing, 2016. Gift, unknown source.
Collection includes Mflm 30: repository has 1 master negative and 1 positive service copy of each reel.
The Denver Real Estate Record books were microfilmed (mflm 30); collection mistakenly assigned two numbers - combine catalog record for WH930.
- Denver (Colo.) -- Politics and government -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Leet, John E. (John Edward), 1847-1922 -- Archives.
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mourning banners Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspaper editors -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Real estate development -- Colorado -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real estate development -- Wyoming -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script