Frederick C. Eberley Architectural Records
Scope and Contents
The Arapahoe County Jail was once located near the intersection of Santa Fe Drive and West Colfax, Denver, Colorado. The four-story, stone building was erected in 1891. Built in 1920, the West Side Court Building was connected to the north side of the jail structure.
Collection contains photo copies of 8 original pen and ink drawings (on linen?). Labeled the Arapahoe County Courthouse and Jail, the circa 1890 plans show two buildings: courthouse and jail situated parallel to each other. A smaller structure connects the two buildings to form an abbreviated "H" shape. Drawings include cross sections, structural, and interior detail drawings. The courthouse as designed by Eberley, was never constructed.
- circa 1890
- Eberley, Frederick C.,1844-1915. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Frederick Carl Eberley was born in Arolsen, Waldek, Prussia on June 9, 1844 and emigrated to the United States on September 22, 1866. He was a prominent architect based in Denver, Colorado. Eberley died in February 1915 and is buried at Crown Hill Cemetery, Wheatridge, Jefferson County, Colorado. Some of his existing structures include: Barth Hotel, Zang Mansion, Airedale Building a.k.a. Kopper's Hotel and Saloon, Tivoli Brewery, and the Gertrude Apartments (originally the Fritz Theis home) at 2545 Champa Street.
1 oversize folders
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Don D. Etter; 2014.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Location of the original plans is unknown.
- Arapahoe County Courthouse and Jail (Denver, Colo.) -- History -- Designs and plans.
- Architects -- Colorado -- Denver -- Designs and plans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- County courthouses Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Courthouses -- Colorado -- Denver -- History -- Designs and plans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eberley, Frederick C., 1844-1915 -- Archives.
- Jails -- Colorado -- Denver -- Design and Plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Frederick C. Eberley Architectural Records.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script