Account of the Birch Creek massacre of 1877
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a transcript of a letter (1878 January 24, Salmon City, Idaho Territory) from W.H. Falkner to his sister: Mrs. S.A. Groves of Milford, Indiana; additional sheet provides explanation of Nez Percé uprising and massacre. Original letter owned by R. F. Stanton, Arco, Idaho.
- Falkner, W. H.(William H.),1842- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William H. Falkner was born in Indiana circa 1842, the son of James Falkner (b.1807; Scotland) and Elizabeth Park (b. 1821; Scotland). By 1870 he was a placer miner living at Fort Lemhi, Lemhi County, Idaho Territory.
1 envelope (2 pages)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; R. F. Stanton; Arco, Idaho; n.d.
Varying Form of Title
Birch Creek massacre of 1877
- Falkner, W. H. (William H.), 1842- -- Correspondence.
- Idaho Territory -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nez Perce Tribe of Idaho -- History -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nez Percé Indians -- Wars, 1877. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transcripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Account of the Birch Creek massacre of 1877.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script