Mendall Jewett diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a photocopy of Jewett's diary titled: "Journal to and from California." Collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm51).
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Mendall Jewett was a medical doctor. He was born on September 4, 1815 in Greenwich, Hampshire, Massachusetts. Between 1850-1851 he traveled from Franklin, Penn. to Sacramento, Calif. via the North Platte route during the California gold rush. While in California, Dr. Jewett practiced medicine, mined, and farmed. He died in Akron, Summit County, Ohio on June 9, 1887.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Permission to copy ;Ann DeHaven Brown,Winter Haven, Fla.;1964.
Collection includes Mflm 51.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jewett, Mendall F. (Mendall Ford), 1815-1887 -- Archives.
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physicians -- California -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Travel Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Mendall Jewett diary,1850 March 10-1851 August 24
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script