L. Drew Bax Photograph Collection
Scope and Contents
Collection contains original photographs and copies of images collected by L. Drew Bax. These images document Southwestern and Plains American Indian lives and cultures. Most photographs are identified, and titles and descriptions were taken from the photos themselves. Collection also contains photographic postcards featuring people from the Blackfeet, Lakota, and Crow tribes, and several pictures of “the show,” referring to Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show.
- Bax, L. D.(Lionel Drewyer),1898-1984. (Person)
- Corbett, Meriam, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Lionel Drewyer Bax was a cattle rancher, auto supply manufacturer, and collector of Native American art, artifacts, and photographs. He was born in Colorado on June 22, 1898. Bax met Pedro Cajete, also known as "Chief Manitou," as a child, which sparked his interest in Native American people and cultures. He photographed a number of Native American people, including Cajete. Bax married Ruth M. Bax in 1922, and died in May 1984.
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Meriam Corbett, Liz Wilson, 2014.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Bax, L. D. (Lionel Drewyer), 1898-1984 -- Archives.
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Color photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Copy prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Indians of North America -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States