Robert B. Martin Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains biographical information and correspondence.
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Burns Martin was born on January 18, 1919 in Portland, Ore. Martin served with the Oregon National Guard (1940-1942) before enlisting in the Army on August 1942. He received his basic training at Camp Chaffee, Ark. and later attended the General Motors Institute for Army Mechanics where he was selected for officer training. Martin received his commission on July 7, 1943 and served as 1st Lieutenant in the 10th Mountain Division's 126th Mountain Engineer Battalion, Company D. He was stationed at Camp Swift, Tex., in Italy and at Camp Carson, Colo. He was the officer in charge of the construction of the aerial tramway during the battle for Riva Ridge in February 1945. During the Korean War, Martin was a Company Commander with the 2nd Amphibious Support Regiment. He later graduated from Oregon State University as an Industrial Engineer (1958) and worked in the engineering departments of several major companies. Martin died in Los Alamitos, Orange County, Calif. on July 17, 1991.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Fred Nagel; 2005.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Armies -- United States -- Officers -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Martin, Robert B. (Robert Burns), 1919-1991 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. -- Archival resources.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Engineer Battalion, 126th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert B. Martin Papers
- Keli Schmid
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script