Charles E. Gardner Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a photo album with approximately 80 photographs, some identified. Photo subjects include Camp Carson, Colo.; Camp Hale, Colo.; Camp Swift, Tex. and Italy; photographs of soldiers, training exercises, mules and mule packing and artillery firing exercises.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Charles E. Gardner was born in Ohio on August 1, 1921. He enlisted in the Army January 16, 1943 at Cleveland, Ohio. At them time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school and working in a machine shop. Gardner joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Carson, Colorado in February 1943, where he was assigned to the 606th Field Artillery, Battery A. Later, he transferred to the 616th Field Artillery, Battery B. While engaged in combat operations against German forces occupying Italy, Gardner was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions near Castel d|Aiano on March 5, 1945. Gardner attained the rank of 1st Sergeant. He died in Cleveland, Ohio on April 25, 2006.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Mrs. Laverne Gardner;2007.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gardner, Charles E. 1921-2006 -- Archives.
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion, 606th. Battery A. -- Archival resources.
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion, 616th. Battery B. -- Archival resources.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Photographs.
- Charles E. Gardner Papers,1943-1945
- Keli Schmid
- May 25, 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script