Sam Howe papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains an unused military and civil history booklet (n.d.); membership certificate, and biographical data from the Soldiers' and Sailors' Historical and Benevolent Society (1908); certificates (1873, 1885) of appointment as Denver police officer from Joe E. Bates, Mayor.
- Howe, Sam,1839-1930. (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
- Soldiers' and Sailors' Historical and Benevolent Society (Washington, D.C.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Simeon H. Hunt was born on October 16, 1839 at Shelbyville, Shelby County, Ohio. Enlisted on October 16, 1860 in Louiseville, Kentucky as a Private with Company C, 2nd Regiment, United States Cavalry, later discharged on July 11, 1864, but re-enlisted with the 5th Regiment until 1867. Name changed to Sam Howe and joined Denver, Colorado police department on April 11, 1873. Served with Denver Police Department for 48 years (1873-1921), 5 years as Chief of Detectives. Died April 4, 1930 and is buried at RIverside Cemetery.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Howe, Sam, 1839-1930 -- Archives.
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personnel records. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Police -- Colorado -- Denver -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Police officers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- 19th century -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Cavalry Regiment, 2nd -- History.
- United States. Army. Cavalry Regiment, 5th -- History.
- Finding Aid for the Sam Howe papers,1873-1908
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script