Henry Wellenkamp Diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains diary of a 119-day trip from Washington, Missouri to Sacramento City, California (1850) -- a "hard, dangerous, and toilsome journey across the Rocky Mountains, Great Basin and Sierre Nevada Mountains." Diary also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm84).
- April 23 - August 21, 1850
- Wellenkamp, Henrich,1822-1907. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Wellenkamp was born May 12, 1822 in Osnabruck, Germany. He immigrated to U.S. (1835) and settled in Missouri. Later journeyed to California (1850) and struck gold. Sold out mining interests to a Cincinnati syndicate. Returned to Washington, Missouri, where he opened a general store. Died November 21, 1907 in Washington, Missouri and is buried in Saint Francis Borgia Cemetery.
1 microfilm reels (35mm)
Language of Materials
Diary once owned by James W. Bagby (grandson), Clayton, Missouri.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Kenneth Sender / Smoky Hill Booksellers, Kansas City, Mo., 1962.
Collection include microfilm Mflm 84.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Merchants -- Missouri -- Washington -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Miners -- California -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland journals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- 19th century -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Travelers -- 19th century -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wellenkamp, Henry, 1822-1907 -- Diaries.
- West (U.S.) -- 19th century -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script